The Garden Part 12 -- 7/14/09
Wow, I just got home from work and realized I hadn't blogged about the garden in a couple of weeks. While Sage puts a finishing touch on dinner, I ran out and took some photos. Here's a quick update.
The peppers are okay. They've grown a bit, and there are blossoms on almost every plant, but just like last year, it seems that the blossoms aren't turning into peppers. Hopefully it's just a sun thing, and now that winter is finally over and the sun has come out regularly, this will change.
The summer squash are doing well, and I have about 4 on each plant that are starting to grow. Sage is getting anxious! Just waiting for the leaves to die out on the potatoes before we start to dig them up.
I'm extremely happy about my tomatoes. They've grown taller every week and every plant has blossoms on them. My roma/plum tomato plants have some tomatoes coming in as well.
The cages I built have been great. It keeps all the plants compact so I can get around and weed, and they're not all growing together. The only down side of the tomatoes is that the hard rains we had the past month or so totally flooded the ones I had in large pots. Those went the way of the lettuce, I'm afraid.
Also, one final note on the Guardener. I had some harsh words for it in my last blog, as it clearly does nothing to repel rabbits. However, after the peas were destroyed and I put in the new fence, I noticed that the squirrels were going to town on the compost. When I first saw the rabbits in the garden I moved the Mini-Guardener to the main garden, away from the compost, hoping that two Guardeners would work better than one. So I moved the mini back to the compost, and voila -- the squirrels haven't been around it. So it seems that while these high-tech devices don't seem to work on rabbits, they do on squirrels. I guess half a loaf is better than none.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home