Gorilla Blog

Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Garden Part 8 -- 5/31/09

May comes to a close, and I think there's hope for me yet as a gardener. Nothing too exciting going on in the garden this weekend. It was cold and rainy all week up here in New England, but the sun came out yesterday and warmed back up to 70. I did some weeding, as I read that it's best to get the weeds out while it's wet, and also before they sprout and send their weed seedlings all over the place. Let's take our weekly look at the vegetable beds.

Potatoes

Those potatoes keep growing faster than bamboo. I've been adding an inch or so of soil every week, but these basically are going to be like this until September.

Lettuce in front, radishes in the middle, peas in the back.

I'm leaving the lettuce only because I don't have anything else to plant there. Otherwise I would have dug them all up by now. Radishes keep doing well, we've gotten 1-2 a week, though there's probably 2 or 3 more that are ready to eat. Peas keep climbing.

Caged tomatoes

Here are my tomatoes, all caged up. Looks almost professional. I can't tell if any have gotten bigger yet.

Peppers

Nothing to report on the peppers yet, though it looks like some bugs are eating the leaves on the ones that Roy gave me. I might have to make a trip to Russell's and find some enviro-friendly bug destroyer.

Finally, Sage wanted me to put up a photo of one of our rhododendrons from the front of the house that I didn't put up last week.


This isn't a great shot, but it's this bright pink/fuscia color that really is wonderful. I was thinking of planting a couple others by the front of the house, where it's a bit shady. Too bad that the bushes cost so much.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home