Gorilla Blog

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Virginia Tech @ Duke, September 13, 2007

With our move to the Triangle area of NC in June, we knew we'd have some short trips to see VT play. With 3 ACC schools within a 20 mile radius, and another only an hour away, we were going to get to see VT play some away games at least once a year. Our first short trip to an away game was yesterday, with the Hokies taking on Dook only 7.5 miles away. We really weren't that interested in tailgating at Duke, but we wanted to walk around campus a bit before the game, so we got there a little bit early.

Probably the most famous landmark on Duke's campus, the Duke Chapel is quite impressive. We took a walk around inside, and it's a lot bigger than you would think. In fact, it was very similar to European cathedrals that we've seen on our travels. The stained glass inside is gorgeous. Unfortunately the stairs to the bell tower are not open to the public. Would have been a nice view from up there.

I was trying to show some of the depth of the chapel with this photo, but the sun kind of screwed up the lighting in the picture.
We walked around a little bit more, and the part of campus right around the chapel is very nice. It has a lot of older looking, brick-facade buildings which almost look like castles. There also aren't any roads that go through the heart of campus, which gives it a quiet feel as well. The day was Homecoming for Duke, and we saw lots of students that seemed to be dressed up like it was Halloween, but I assumed it was for the parade. Most had a 12-pack of beer in their arms as well, even though it was before 10:00 am. Gotta love College.
During our walk around campus we saw a lot of other VT fans, but not many Duke fans. I had heard from other VT folks who went to the VT game two years ago in Durham who said the students were pretty obnoxious to them before the game. I was thankful we didn't run into any of that ourselves...until right before going to the stadium. We were walking up and we passed these two girls, one who looked like she might still be partying from the night before. "Are you from Blacksburg?" she asked. "No, we live here in Durham", I said. "Oh, too bad...well, you guys suck anyway. The only thing you have is football and that's it. You'll never beat us in basketball." I don't like getting into arguments with people who may be soused, but I couldn't let this one pass. "Oh, I think we beat you in basketball last year, here in Duke!" I said. "Oh yeah, just once," was the reply. "Uh, no, we've beaten you two years in a row!" (In reality, we've beaten them twice in the last 3 years, and should have been 3 years in a row if not for a miracle 60 foot shot by Duke in 2005.) We're pretty much past them by this time, but she yells after us, "Well, you're nothing but rednecks anyway." "I live in Durham!" I said with a laugh, which to be honest, still might qualify me as a redneck, but it's kind of the pot calling the kettle black, if you asked me. "Thanks for being so welcoming", Sage said to them, but they had one more bon mot to shoot our way. "And your shirt is way too big for you." (She was referring to my jersey, which is obviously built for a football player, not a direct marketer, so yes it lays quite large on my body.) I laughed at her weak attempt, said, "You're one classy gal", and went on our way.

The one other place I wanted to see on campus was Cameron Indoor Stadium, where VT beat #5 Duke last year, and one of the classic college basketball venues. I knew it was small (only holds 10,000 or so), but we walked by it TWICE before we realized it was the simple building above. Unfortunately it wasn't open to the public, so we couldn't go in and check out the court.

We went into the stadium, and while I knew Wallace Wade was small, I wasn't prepared for how small it really is. First, it has a track around the field, which I hate. It puts the fans too far away from the field, and also I think it's dangerous for the players who go flying off the field. As you can see from the picture, the stands are pretty small as well, as is the press box/luxury boxes. Finally, the "concourse" is simply a bunch of food carts around the outside rim, above the bleachers. There were a total of TWO bathrooms, plus some port-a-potties. It seemed more like a state fair than a football stadium. I think high schools in Texas have bigger stadiums than this.
When you have a pretty weak football history like Duke does, you promote yourself anyway you can. I do think having the Highest Graduation Rate in Division I Football is a very honorable achievement. I just don't think I'd put a banner on it in the stadium.

One good thing about it being so small is that our seats were pretty close to the field. (As were everyone elses.) Here's the Hokie Bird arriving for the game, carrying his duffel bag. Sage and I wondered what he carried in there: A fleece jacket in case it got chilly? A rain slicker in case some showers showed up? Maybe some sun screen? Only he knows.

The game was out of hand during the first half, and pretty much all the Duke fans left around halftime. Here you can see all the VT fans (half the crowd were VT fans, easily), with the smattering of Duke fans on the other side of the 50 yard line. I think a lot of Duke's band even left during the 4th quarter. Some students showed up about 5 minutes into the game, but there were maybe a dozen left by the start of the 4th quarter. Some pretty pathetic displays of support.

The final score, and it didn't seem that close. The Hokies have an off week next weekend, and then a HUGE showdown with #2 Boston College the Thursday after in Blacksburg. That's going to be a big one, and we'll be there to cheer them on.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home