Weekend in Review
- So the Sox lost 2 out of 3 to the evil Yankees. I can't believe I feel this way, but I'm not too upset. We're still 3 games up, and we get the last 3 against the Yanks at home. I still stand by my prediction that the Yankees won't even make the playoffs this year.
- Yesterday's Sox/Yankees game was great, even tho the Sox lost. Incredible pitching match-up, and I would have bet the bank that the Sox would have gotten home at least 1 in the 9th against Rivera. Mo didn't look overpowering yesterday...I think the fall is not his season against the Sox. Hopefully we won't have to find out in October.
- I'm cautiously optimistic about the Hokies so far this season. After a smackdown of Duke (45-0) that included the VT defense only giving up 35 yards of offense to Duke, I'm not sure what to think. The win against NC State, on the road, showed that our defense needs to improve, especially with the tackling. It did against Duke, but will it stay improved against teams like Georgia Tech, Boston College and Miami? Only time will tell. The offense is starting to click. The WR's dropped a few passes, but overall, I think we have a nice balanced attack.
- We're currently ranked 4th in both polls (tied with Tennessee in the Coaches), with only USC, Texas and LSU ahead of us. Obviously there's no guarantee of VT going undefeated, but here I look at the top 5, and their key games left:
USC: 10/1 @ Arizona St.; 10/15 @ Notre Dame; 11/12 @ California
Texas: 10/8 vs. Oklahoma; 11/25 @ Texas A&M; 12/3 vs. Big 12 North Champ
LSU: 9/24 vs. Tennessee; 10/15 vs. Florida; 10/22 vs. Auburn; 12/3 vs. SEC East Champ
Tennessee: 10/17 @ Florida; 10/24 @ LSU; 10/8 vs. Georgia; 11/5 @ Notre Dame; 12/3 vs. SEC West Champ
Virginia Tech: 9/24 vs. Georgia Tech; 10/27 vs. Boston College; 11/5 vs. Miami; 12/3 vs. ACC Atlantic Champ
As you can see, it seems that VT and USC have the easiest schedules...but anything can happen. Right now, I'm worried about beating Ohio this weekend.
- Speaking of ranking, Notre Lame, after beating Michigan, is now ranked 10th. Granted beating Michigan in Ann Arbor is impressive. But the media bias toward Notre Dame is ridiculous. If you doubt it, think about this: If Syracuse (who went 6-6 in 2004, just like ND) started off with wins at Pitt and at Michigan, what would they be ranked this week? 20th at the highest, probably more like 22. But ND does the same thing, and they shoot up to 10 with a bullet. No wonder everyone hates the Fighting Irish.
- I gave blood on Saturday morning, and I really miss being able to give blood in Downtown DC at the Red Cross donor center. I used to be able to go at lunchtime, it was never that crowded, and I'd be done in an hour. Now, working in Boonies, VA, there is no local donor center, so the only time I really have to give blood is on the weekends near our house. Unfortunately, Saturday's at the donor center are crazy...I'm lucky if i get out in 2 hours. So Saturday I went first thing when they opened, at 7 am. There were still 4 people in front of me, and I was lucky to finish in about 90 minutes. I love giving blood, but I really think they could make the process a lot faster.
- Usually giving blood doesn't affect me...I feel a little bit light-headed for the first 5 minutes or so, but then that's it. But on Saturday, I spent about an hour working outside, trimming bushes, etc., and I practically passed out by about 8pm that night. In fact, I couldn't even stay up to watch the end of Texas/Ohio St. (But Sage did...go figure!)
Next weekend: The first home game of the season! Can't wait to tailgate, drink, and pummel the Bobcats!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home