Gorilla Blog

Monday, September 26, 2005

And Down the Stretch They Come...

Wow, for the first time this year, I was right about something! As I outlined below, I thought that the Sox and Yankees would be tied atop the division going into the last 7 games. Lo and behold, that’s exactly where they are. This last week won’t be easy on the nerves, but it should set up for a great weekend. Here’s my prediction on the last week of the season.

Toronto @ Boston (4 games): This series worries me. While the Sox are 50-24 at home this year, they are only 5-9 against Toronto in 2005. While I’m hopeful the Sox will go at least 3-1, I have a feeling they’ll split the 4 with Toronto, and that Clement and Schilling will both get shelled.

NY Yankees @ Baltimore (4 games): The Orioles have pretty much rolled over these past 2 weeks, and why would we think this would change with the Yankees coming to Charm City? I do think Baltimore will steal 1 of the games, but that’s it.

So going in to the final weekend series, I think the Yankees will have a 1 game lead on the BoSox. Again, the Sox have a great home record, but are only 7-9 vs. the Yankees this year. Let’s look at the 3 final games individually (probable starters listed):

Friday, Sept. 30: David Wells vs. Chien-Ming Wang
Wells has been one of the most frustrating pitchers to watch this year. From start to start, even inning to inning, you never know if he’s going to be tossing BP or baffling hitters. Wang was on the DL until early September, and has become a 6th starter for the Yankees. He pitched well against the Jays last weekend, but I think the Sox get to him early and often. I don’t think Wells pitches a gem, but the Sox pull out the win, 8-5. Boston & Yankees tied atop the AL East.

Saturday, Oct. 1: Curt Schilling vs. Randy Johnson
Are you kidding me? This game has the markings of a classic written all over it. Depending on what paper you read, Schilling and Johnson are either best of friends or worst of enemies. On top of that, the two have NEVER faced each other. Johnson is 4-0 against the Red Sox this year, but if there’s one person who lives for the limelight, it’s Curt Schilling. The scope of winning this game will not be lost on him, and I expect him to mow down the Yankees for 7 strong innings, just as he did 2 weeks ago. Manny will hit a 3-run shot in the 6th to put the Sox ahead for good, and the Beantown Nine take a 1 game lead with 1 to play by beating the Pinstripers 4-2.

Sunday, Oct. 2: Tim Wakefield vs. Mike MussinaTwo bulldogs will go at it in the final game of the year. Fortunately for the Red Sox fans, the Yankees will send Mussina to the mound. Fortunately, you ask? Even though Moose mowed down the Sox in game 1 of last year’s ALCS, this year he is 0-2 in 4 games and the Sox have scored at least 6 runs on him his last 3 outings. Wakefield’s knuckler can be spotty, but Tim-may will put on a show, striking out 10 in 7 innings. Ortiz will hit 2 home runs and the Sox will win the AL East by 2 games with a 10-3 victory, a score reminiscent of Game 7 from the 2004 ALCS. The Yankees will not only lose out on the AL East title, but will also miss the playoffs by falling 1 game short of Cleveland for the Wild Card spot. Oh happy day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home