Gorilla Blog

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The list...is life

Life lists have quickly become a cliché. While a few years ago they were an unusual way of looking at a person’s life, now they’ve just become trendy. I knew as soon as Men’s Journal had a feature article that not only talked about what should be on every “real man’s” life list, but also had selections of famous people’s life lists, that they have gone from being an interesting idea to being overblown by the mainstream media. I’ve had a life list (or as I always liked to call it, “100 things to do before I die”) for a long time, though my original printed copy (which only had about 30 things on it) got lost years ago. Either way, I’m sure there were things on that list that I would have removed, now that I’ve had a few years under my belt. Also, I’ve added items to the list that I’ve already done (such as climb a Mayan Pyramid), which if I hadn’t done them yet, I would have them on the list. It might be cheating, but oh well. And of course, things you can’t control can not be put on a Life List (i.e., Live to be 100; catch a home run ball at a baseball game). Most of the items on my list are travel related – i.e., Visit Crete. To be honest, these might seem quite boring, but maybe I’m just a boring person. I do want to visit New Zealand, but I don’t have any desire to bungee jump in New Zealand. So “Trek around New Zealand” is good enough for me.

Also, these are NOT in order of most desired to least desired. They are just the way I came up with them. Maybe in the future I’ll post the likelihood of me doing each one, as well as how I would rank them in order of desire. But for now, here’s the top 100. (Note: Subject to change at any time! Also, #'s 1-5 are DONE. 5 down, 95 to go...)

  1. Climb a Mayan Pyramid
  2. Snorkel in St. John, USVI
  3. See a Late Show with David Letterman in person
  4. Climb Mt. Washington in NH
  5. Touch the Stanley Cup
  6. Hike the Appalachian Trail
  7. Scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef
  8. Climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge
  9. Watch the sunset over Uluru
  10. Snorkel in Palau
  11. Hike through England/Scotland/Ireland and stay at pubs/inns
  12. Bike/Hike around Switzerland
  13. Take a hot air balloon ride over the African Savannah
  14. Trek through Croatia & Slovenia
  15. Watch a mountain leg of the Tour de France
  16. Go to a Stanley Cup clinching game
  17. Visit every major league ballpark and watch a game
  18. See a World Series game
  19. Go on an overnight backpacking trip in the Maze District in Canyonlands Nat’l Park
  20. Hike the Narrows in Zion
  21. Backpack in Yellowstone to an unnamed waterfall
  22. Visit Banff Nat’l Park and Lake Louise
  23. Go to the Winter Olympics and ring a cow bell
  24. Visit Glacier Nat’l Park before the glaciers melt
  25. See the sunrise from the top of Half Dome in Yosemite
  26. Hike the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim
  27. Visit Grand Teton Nat’l Park
  28. Canoe/Kayak around Voyageurs Nat’l Park
  29. Watch Arsenal at Highbury
  30. Go to an FA Cup final
  31. See the US in the World Cup
  32. Play a round of golf at Pebble Beach
  33. Write a book
  34. Get a book published
  35. Learn to speak Spanish fluently
  36. Climb Mt. Whitney in California
  37. Go sea kayaking in Baja California
  38. Go canyoneering in Grand Staircase-Escalante, UT
  39. Play in the World Series of Poker
  40. Play golf at St. Andrews – Old Course
  41. Cross the Straight of Gibraltar on a boat
  42. Trek up to Machu Picchu
  43. Bury a time capsule
  44. Visit the Pyramids of Giza
  45. Be an extra in a movie
  46. Finish reading “Ulysses”
  47. Learn to play “Nightswimming” on the piano
  48. Learn to play “Linus & Lucy” on the piano
  49. Visit Denali Nat’l Park, but don’t even attempt to climb Denali
  50. Travel to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge before it becomes a giant oil rig
  51. See a hockey game at the Montreal Forum/Molson Center/whatever it’s called now
  52. Go scuba diving at Stingray City in the Caymans
  53. Go scuba diving in Bon Aire
  54. Visit the Galapagos Islands
  55. Golf at Shadow Creek, Las Vegas
  56. Visit the Normandy Beaches in France & Bastogne in Belgium
  57. Travel around the Croatian Islands in the Adriatic
  58. Go on an African Safari
  59. Visit the Mountain Gorillas in the wild
  60. Visit the Seychelles and do nothing
  61. Trek around the island of Crete
  62. Play golf at Death Valley
  63. Raft the Rio Grande in Big Bend Nat’l Park
  64. Mountain Bike the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands
  65. Raft down the Green River, Utah
  66. Canoe the Everglades
  67. Camp on the Dry Tortugas
  68. Camp on Mona Island, Puerto Rico
  69. Visit an active volcano at Hawaii Volcanoes Nat’l Park
  70. Visit Belize and go snorkeling
  71. Visit Angkor Wat in Cambodia
  72. Visit Rocky Mountain Nat’l Park and attempt to climb Longs Peak
  73. Golf at TPC Sawgrass, Stadium course
  74. Sit on a beach in French Polynesia
  75. Check out Tokyo and go to a karaoke bar
  76. Be a bartender for at least 1 night
  77. Spend a night walking around Vienna
  78. Visit Auschwitz
  79. See Mt. Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Memorial
  80. Visit the Amazon Rainforest
  81. Plant a tree
  82. Drink beer at Oktoberfest in Germany
  83. Learn to juggle
  84. See the Northern Lights
  85. Ride the Orient Express from London to Istanbul
  86. Trek to Everest Base Camp
  87. Visit Churchill, Manitoba and see the Polar Bears up close (but not too close)
  88. Visit all 50 states and all Canadian provinces/territories
  89. March in a protest rally
  90. Learn to ice skate better than I can now
  91. See every Virginia Tech football game in a single season, in person
  92. Watch a round of golf at the Masters
  93. See a fjord in Norway
  94. Visit Poland – the motherland
  95. Eat a pasta meal in Italy
  96. Check out the geysers in Iceland
  97. See Victoria Falls
  98. Visit a National Park in Gabon
  99. Trek around New Zealand
  100. Throw a dart at a world map and travel to wherever it hits

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home