Take me out
We are halfway through the season, so it’s time to review my preseason picks and re-project out for the rest of the year.
AMERICAN LEAGUE EAST:
Preseason prediction: Boston
Current leader: Boston
Current prediction: Boston
While Baltimore got out of the gate fast, they have slumped lately and their thin pitching is starting to show. While Baltimore has the bats, I don’t think their starting pitching is good enough win more games than Boston for the 2nd half. A Wild Card berth for the Orioles is still a possibility. Boston’s pitching hasn’t been great either, but with Schilling coming back, it should only improve as the season progresses. The bullpen is still in need of some help, but the Sox have 2 more wins than they did at this time last year…let’s hope for another hot August. No one believed me when I said I didn’t think New York’s pitching was all that at the beginning of the year, and it is showing. Carl Pavano and Randy Johnson are combined 11-11, and the rest of the staff isn’t much better. The team is old, and there is ZERO young blood in their organization. Not only do I think the Yanks don’t finish at .500 this year, I don’t think they make the playoffs for the next 3 years, at least.
AMERICAN LEAGUE CENTRAL:
Preseason prediction: Chicago WS
Current leader: Chicago WS
Current prediction: Chicago WS
Minnesota was the trendy pick to start the season, but I went with a gut instinct that said Chicago was ready to bust loose, and have they ever. With an 8 ½ game lead the White Sox look very comfortable to end the season the way they began: with the best record in the AL. Minnesota & Cleveland should battle for the Wild Card spot.
AMERICAN LEAGUE WEST:
Preseason prediction: LA/Anaheim
Current leader: LA/Anaheim
Current prediction: LA/Anaheim
The Angels have been on a tear to end the first half, and there’s no reason to think that will stop. Vlad Guerrero is playing great after his injury, and they are getting plenty of help up and down the batting order. Texas and Kenny Rogers are fading and imploding, and I don’t expect them to put up a fight for the Wild Card. Oakland is a huge disappointment this year…expect changes in Oaktown.
AMERICAN LEAGUE WILD CARD:
Preseason prediction: Minnesota
Current leader: Minnesota
Current prediction: Minnesota
The Twins usually close the season strong, and I see them doing that this year. Baltimore and Cleveland could give them a run, but I’ll go with Santana and Minnesota in a close race.
NATIONAL LEAGUE EAST:
Preseason prediction: Florida
Current leader: Washington
Current prediction: Atlanta
Is there a more surprising team in the Majors than the Washington Nationals? Frank Robinson has the little-team-that-could chugging along in first place. Will it last? I can’t say it will, not with their pitching. There’s been a lot of smoke-and-mirrors at work to get where they are, and I can’t see them winning another 50 games in the 2nd half. They do, however, have a good chance to hold on to a wild card spot. Atlanta has started to play better, and their pitching, as usual, is top notch. Florida still has the best pitching, in my opinion, but I’m not sure they have the horses to go all the way. With all 5 teams at or above .500, this is by far the most competitive division in baseball.
NATIONAL LEAGUE CENTRAL:
Preseason prediction: St. Louis
Current leader: St. Louis
Current prediction: St. Louis
The Cardinals have bounced back from their World Series sweep last year and have played the best baseball in the majors. Their pitching is top notch, and as long as they stay healthy, no one will come close to catching them. The Cubs can still battle for the Wild Card if they ever get Prior and Wood healthy. Houston has been another disappointment.
NATIONAL LEAGUE WEST:
Preseason prediction: San Diego
Current leader: San Diego
Current prediction: San Diego
How did I know that the Padres would break through this season? Just a hunch, but they finished strong last year and the NL West is probably the weakest division in baseball. It’s possible that another team will catch San Diego this year, but who? Arizona? The Dodgers? The Giants? All of these teams have major injury problems, so I think the Padres will limp across the finish line in 1st place.
NATIONAL LEAGUE WILD CARD:
Preseason prediction: Atlanta
Current leader: Atlanta
Current prediction: Washington
As stated earlier, I think Atlanta will come back and win the East (again). The Nationals play so well at home, and with a season back loaded with a lot of home games, I give them the edge over Florida, Chicago, and Philadelphia. However, with so many teams fighting for this last spot, it should be a real fun September to see how it shakes out.
AMERICAN LEAGUE PLAYOFFS:
Preseason prediction:
Boston over Minnesota
LA/Anaheim over Chicago
Boston over Anaheim
Current prediction:
Boston over Chicago
LA/Anaheim over Minnesota
LA/Anaheim over Boston
While I haven’t changed my preseason prediction of teams making the playoffs, dependent on where they will finish in the standings is how I’ve changed the matchups. Of course I’d love to see the Sox (Red Sox, that is) repeat, I don’t think they have the same consistency in the bullpen as last year to make a run. LA/Anaheim, if they get past Minnesota, should make it to the World Series.
NATIONAL LEAGUE PLAYOFFS:
Preseason prediction:
Atlanta over St. Louis
Florida over San Diego
Atlanta over Florida
Current prediction:
St. Louis over Washington
Atlanta over San Diego
St. Louis over Atlanta
No team can hang with St. Louis these days, and I don’t see why that would change in the postseason. San Diego will just be happy to make the playoffs, and Atlanta will run into a buzz saw in the Cardinals in October.
WORLD SERIES:
Preseason prediction: Boston over Atlanta
Current prediction: St. Louis over LA/Anaheim
The Cardinals have the pitching, the hitting, and the defense. World Series teams have the complete package, which they do. They’ll go out of Busch Stadium on a high note.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home