Garden Update – July 9, 2011
Another month has gone by, so it’s about time for another garden blog. Here’s where we are so far.
Fence. Since the Triple-Fence System has been in place, we’ve had no issues with animals eating the veggies. I have seen chipmunks running around inside, so it’s not keeping them out, but I’ve yet to see them eat anything in the garden, so I hope they don’t cause problems in the future. The real test will be when the tomatoes start coming out and the squirrels look for a way to get them. That hasn’t happened yet.
Peas. The peas have been great, and we barely are able to keep up with them. My first batch, which grew way over the top of my trellis and have now bent backwards, are growing really nice, sweet pea pods. The 2nd batch has only grown halfway up the trellis, but it’s still producing pods, although those are more stumpy and not as sweet. We should keep these going for another few weeks, at least.
Lettuce. The romaine has continued to do well, and the 2nd batch is growing fast too. We’re eating salads almost every meal, so that’s a good thing. Only problem so far is that the earwigs like to live in the lettuce, which has caused at least one house encroachment of the evil bugs. But that’s a small price to pay.
Potatoes. These still aren’t doing so hot. Many of the leaves have been eaten by bugs, and at least 2 of the plants have died off, so we’ll see if any potatoes actually come from those. I bought these seed potatoes at Home Depot instead of Russell’s, my regular spot, so maybe the Home Depot ones are just not as good or pest/disease-resistant.
Pumpkins. My two pumpkin plants have recently begun to really start to spread their vines. I need to make sure they don’t jump my fence this year, as when it did last year the squirrels really went to town on them. Plenty of blossoms, but no pumpkins have begun to grow yet.
Tomatoes. My tomatoes have been disappointing this year. One has already had to be replaced, most of them aren’t growing too rapidly, and they are getting a lot of blight on the lower leaves. I’m worried that the blight is remaining in the bed from last year, so maybe I should move these around next year to another bed. The cherry tomato plant is just now putting out some fruit, so at least that one is doing well.
Peppers. These seem to be doing well, and I have a small pepper growing on one of my red bell pepper plants. But the hot peppers in my Topsy-Turvy bucket are doing GREAT! Once again, these are producing like crazy. Next year I might have to get a bunch of these and get rid of the ones in the garden altogether.
Blackberries. I’ve saved the best for last. My blackberry bushes, which have exploded this year (I really wish I hadn’t planted them so close to the house now), are producing berries! I’m hoping by early August fresh blackberries will be ready to pick, and then I’ll be in seventh heaven. Let’s hope the birds, chipmunks and/or squirrels stay away from these beauties.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home