The Big Game, part 2
Thursday night Virginia Tech travels to College Park to take on Maryland. More than any other game, probably, this is a true family rivalry. However, the rivalry is a bit lopsided, considering I am the only one in my family to go to Virginia Tech, while 2 1/2 of my brothers and my father all went to Maryland. I don't think many of them got that into MD football (much more so for basketball), so my un-dying devotion to the Hokies offsets being outnumbered.
Before VT joined the ACC last year, the two teams had met 26 times, but mostly in the 1920's, 30's and 40's. Last year was the first matchup between the schools as conference rivals, and it wasn't pretty. Virginia Tech scored 41 points in the first half and won a laugher 55-6 on an ESPN Thursday Night telecast, embarrassing the Terps and hindering them from going to a bowl game. No doubt that Ralph Friedgen and the Twerps have revenge on their mind, especially considering that Friedgen is very good friends with Hokie Head Coach Frank Beamer.
Sage and I will be at the game in College Park, hopefully surrounded by a few VT fans. While I certainly wouldn't mind another blowout, I have a feeling this will be a tight game. But maybe the best part...after it's over, we only have to drive 15 miles to get home. Go Hokies!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home