Gorilla Blog

Friday, May 23, 2008

A Grand Afternoon at Fenway

A few weeks ago Roy and Ashley suggested we all go to a Red Sox game together. We decided on the last game of the series with Kansas City on Thursday since it was a day game. Doug was able to score tickets from his "source" for only a few bucks over face value.

The day of the game dawned gray and chilly. The forecast called for showers all day so we bundled up and headed out. Roy and Ashley picked me up in the morning and we drove over to Doug's office in Brookline. A call to Doug confirmed he was swamped at work and would have to meet us at the seats. We found a prime (and free!) parking spot on a Brookline side street and continued the journey to Fenway on foot.

Our first stop after entering Yawkey Way was of course at RemDawg's for a couple of Rem Pups. I noticed they are now serving corn on the cob as well. I'll have to remember to bring dental floss next time so I can try some. Who wants to spend an entire baseball game trying to get corn nuggets out of their teeth?

We arrived at the seats about 12:30, an hour before game time. We were in the front row of Roof Box 39, not a bad view. Good sight lines of the field but you had to sort of sit on the edge of your seat to see over the guard rail. While Roy took a walkabout, Ashley and I snapped some photos of Dice K and Wally warming up.

I know for some reason a lot of people hate Wally the Green Monster. They think having a mascot ruins the "purity" of Fenway or some such nonsense. I happen to think he's pretty awesome. I'm glad he's put on a few pounds since his 1997 debut as well, he looks much cuter.

I had two hopes for the game - Manny Ramirez would hit at least home run number 499 and Dice K would pitch a no-hitter. I always hope for a no-hitter, and I've been known to say after the first inning "he's got a no-hitter going," and Doug will look at me and roll his eyes. (As a side note, Doug and I witnessed a no-hitter in 2001 when the Sox's Hideo Nomo threw one in Baltimore.) Jon Lester had thrown a no-hitter for the Sox just three days earlier so two in one week would have been something. Alas, my wishes did not come true as Dice K gave up quite a few hits and Manny remained stuck at 498 home runs.

Doug arrived in time for the first pitch at 1:35 and we settled in to witness a very exciting game. Four home runs were hit in the game, including two grand slams by the Sox! Luckily it only sprinkled a few times and the sun even made a few appearances.

Some excitement happened near the end of the game in the seats just to our left. A very drunk girl sitting in the row behind us fell and spilled her beer on the girl in front of her. We were sort of hoping the girl who was spilled on would kick some ass because she easily could have knocked drunk girl right into next week, but she kept her cool.

Even though the Sox allowed 13 hits and 8 runs, they managed 14 hits (including the 2 grand slams) and 11 runs to better the Royals. Dice K is now 8-0 for the season, and as a bonus we got to see Jonathan Papelbon come in for the 9th to ensure the win and help the Sox extend their winning streak at home to 10 consecutive games.

Doug had said at the beginning of the season he hopes to attend one Red Sox game a month. April and May have now been fulfilled so we'll keep our fingers crossed for the remainder of the summer... and maybe even into October!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

  • The O's are flying into town the second week of June. I'd love to come down and see Millah.

    By Blogger Ashley, at 10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home