Gorilla Blog

Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Summer of Doug, Part 2

As readers can tell, I haven't posted much at all since the big road trip this summer. I wish I could say I've been too busy to post, but the fact of the matter is I've just been too lazy. Working on the blogs every day this summer during the trip was a double-edged sword. If I didn't keep up with it every day then I probably would have forgotten some of that great minutiae that I put down for all to enjoy. However, every night I spent going over the day's activities, typing it up, spell checking, and making sure I remembered all. Some nights it took me a couple of hours to get it all done, and after a while I really got sick of it. So forgive me if I wanted to take a break, and while I put one together last week on my football tickets arriving, I really haven't gotten into the mood to put anything else down. But here's what I've been up to.

As many of you know, I was lucky enough to find some consulting work while I'm temporarily out of work. It's a totally different feel, working out of the home, working on my own schedule. I almost feel more productive, considering my commute is a simple shuffle down to the basement instead of a 90 minute traffic nightmare. I also love the ability to work the times I want. Getting some work done on the weekends doesn't bother me like it absolutely would in my old world. I'm hoping I can find some work after this project is complete; consulting definitely becomes me.

As Sage noted in an earlier blog, we visited New Hampshire at the end of July. It was very nice to visit, and quite relaxing; however, since we got back from our trip I had been doing almost nothing all day, every day, I found it almost annoying to be doing almost nothing all day, every,day, while on vacation. I mean, what is it when you go on vacation from a permanent vacation? But besides for being rained out twice trying to play golf, the horrible heat, and getting 2nd place in TAR-Concord (we wuz robbed!), it was a great time.

This past weekend Sage and I went to the Renaissance Festival in Crownsville, MD. This is the first time we've ever been, which I guess is a Maryland tradition. It's set up as a medieval village, with skits, jousting competitions, and plenty of pubs and food. It also has performers walking around in costume dress, pretending to be King Henry VIII and his court. (Even the food stall servers get into the act, saying things such as, "And here is thy change, my lord".) What shocked me was that a lot of people who attend the event dress up in costume as well. We got there at 10:00 am, right as they opened, and I would guess that 50% of the visitors were dressed up in their renaissance best. Many even carried their own tankard to fill up at the pubs. Unfortunately, it seems that many people confused "medieval dress" with "S&M outfits". I saw one woman who wore nothing but a black lace bra and a skirt. But beyond some of the clothing choices, it was a fun time. I was a little disappointed in the food. The variety was fantastic; the quality, however, was only a step above dog food. Some of the items were good, such as the seasoned curly fries and chocolate-covered frozen bananas, but most really left me empty. Thankfully the beer was good, and quite inexpensive, so the day wasn't a total loss. The highlight of the festival was the jousting competition, which was short and staged, but still fun to watch.

Next weekend is the first VT game of the season. I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but I'm looking forward to the Fall this year and some cooler weather.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home